Horses embody all that is graceful, strong, gentle, noble, beautiful, intelligent, and inquisitive. Those who have spent time with horses appreciate the contact with such powerful yet perceptive and compassionate animals. They teach us the danger of miscommunication, yet when we are with them they loan us some of their courage, strength, and free spirit.
Enveloping yourself in the power and generosity of the horse as you ride in the fresh mountain air will release you from the emotional and physical traffic of urban life. Unease is replaced with overwhelming feelings of inner peace, liberation, rejuvenation, contentment, balance, and strength. The exhilaration of connecting with a beautiful horse on one of our grassy meadows overlooking Lake Champlain and then relaxing on the porch afterward is excellent therapy for the discontent inflicted on kind, sensitive, and educated individuals by modern society. At the end of an afternoon spent riding in the fresh Adirondack air, guests feel confident, optimistic, and invigorated yet serene. Although our farmland is in the process of being restored, horses are still at the heart of our daily operations and long-term goals.
Our horses are not your average lesson or rental horses; they are hand selected and professionally trained, managed, and groomed for personal enjoyment and showing first and foremost. As such they are used beyond their regular training and show schedule for select local student and exclusive guest clientele only (please read our policies below). Our powerful yet gentle, kind, affectionate, willing, and charitable warmbloods and draft-crosses are hand raised and started under-saddle on the farm. Time spent with these noblest of creatures is sure to help you find your inner power and tranquility. Our thoroughbreds are off-the-track and are exciting, athletic, fast, sensitive, and responsive. They are not for the faint of heart and only for use by our most experienced guests. Many of our horses were rescued or removed from cruel or undesirable circumstances; now they're working toward new careers in loving hunter, dressage, or eventing show homes. Unlike typical rental horses, they are interested to meet, learn more about, and bond with you, and are delighted by the adventure of teaching and learning.
Our exclusive training sessions help you to connect and communicate with your horse through a kind, compassionate, and sympathetic relationship. We focus on the english disciplines - hunters, jumpers, equitation, (and as our farm evolves) dressage and cross country jumping - and strive to help you find a balanced and secure seat, and quiet, understanding, and effective hands. You will become more aware of the horse’s feelings and emotions and be guided through any fears and weaknesses to better realize your goals. We strive for more efficient and more subtle lines of communication for a better partnership and flawless ride regardless of a rider's competitive or strictly leisurely goals.
Riding at the Inn on Lake Champlain is for beginner through advanced riders who seek an intensive equine learning experience. We operate under the following policies to protect and preserve our outstanding equine friends for avid equestrians and those interested in a meaningful equestrian experience...
- Guests seeking riding sessions must be booked at The Inn on Lake Champlain for two or more nights.
- Strict three session minimum, at least one session/day for three consecutive days or roughly every-other day on one week stays.
- Guests seeking more intensive experience may book up to two sessions/day.
- Sessions are conducted in small groups of three or less.
- One Hour Training Sessions or trail rides - $50.°°/participant
- Beginner/Child Private Sessions - $75.°°/one hour session (up to three participants may share one session).
- Guests acknowledge that horses are inherently dangerous and agree to sign a release of liability.
- Cross-country riding is available only to more proficient riders.
- We adhere to strict weight limits (Males <240 lb., Females <200 lb., and children under 12 <120 lb.)
- Please schedule sessions upon booking your room, we offer a very limited number of rides per week.
- Please consider professional, modest attire for comfort, safety, and to preserve a timeless memory of your riding experience.
- Helmets (provided), pants, and riding boots are required. Breeches or stretch pants and supportive undergarments are strongly recommended.
We are still in the process of relocating and are just beginning improvements to our farm including hay meadows, pastures, trails, and elegant stables and riding arenas. We look forward to offering year-round advanced and intensive riding instruction.